Haven’t really gotten much done. The new job keeps me pretty occupied. As well as my 10 month old son and 4yr old daughter.
I noticed some cracks under the passenger seat starting to form a couple of weeks ago. I drilled some holes at the ends of the cracks to keep them from growing.
There are a couple of things I feel contributed to this.
Number 1 – Thirty Year Old Truck
Number 2 – Previous owner installed pipe flange seat risers
Number 3 – Sidekick Seat swap
I used my harbor freight welder to patch up the cracks. It went surprisingly well.
I sprayed some paint over it and on the underside of the tub and called it finished.
If I see the cracks opening or new ones forming I’ll add some more metal underneath the seat mounts/sliders.
I’ve been noticing a bit of vibration recently as well. It became especially evident between 15-20mph recently. I had chalked this up to the new tires.
I changed my transmission oil.
I inspected the transmission mount.
And I glanced over at the rear drive shaft and noticed a shiny spot.
My u-joint was completely destroyed!
I’ve continued to be impressed by this vehicle. Even with this completely destroyed U-Joint the Samurai did 70mph+! The vibration was hardly noticeably above 30mph.
The flanges are pretty well ground in one the forward direction. The remaining u-joint held together well enough to keep my going forward.
I dropped it off at Bill Englewood Driveshaft and he was able to get the flanges swapped out and I had my driveshaft back the next day.
I’m still trying to battle noise inside the Samurai. I picked up some Boom Mat to put in some key areas of the tub to see if it helps. I’ll keep you all posted!